Tie-in work is, by its very nature, subject to a lot more unexpected change than other writing - it's someone else's copyright, and the writer has to live with that. It goes with the territory. That's why professional tie-in writers don't get emotionally attached to what they're working on. It's not that I take the task casually; but it's not my property, and the stewardship of it is always temporary. A pro has to be able to shrug, move on, and say: "Okay, nobody died, and the cheque didn't bounce - result! Next?"But as a writer, I have a moral deal with you, the reader - if I hook you with a story, my part of the deal is to follow through and give you a satisfying outcome. If changes beyond my control mean I can't give you that, then I won't do a half a job. You deserve better than that.
October Means Travel: NYCC, Gamehole Con, and the Chippewa Valley Book
Festival!
-
Hello, October! I have three big events happening this month, in between
which I’m juggling a lot of different projects at once, so let’s get to it!
First ...
23 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment